Friday, February 3, 2017

Oklahoma Is Now My Home

a home away from home
phrase of home
  1. 1
    a place where one is as happy, relaxed, or comfortable as in one's own home.
Translate home away from home to
  1. 1내 집

Google translated 'home away from home' as 'my home (내 집)' in Korean.

Home away from home is not second home to me. It's another home.

I've recently noticed that I call Oklahoma as home quite often. It's been more than three years being away from home. Since I'm trying to get a job in any country outside of Korea, I'm not even sure if I will ever live in Korea again. Some people might say it's been only three years, but I feel more comfortable in American culture, not in Korean culture although I was born and raised in Korea.

I like small talk with cashiers at stores, holding doors for the next person whom I never met before, wearing whatever I want to wear and not wearing makeup every time I get out of my house. Of course, I miss I my people, food and FAST services back in Korea (everything is fast in Korea, such as DMV, customer services, delivery, restaurant, etc.).

But last time I went to Korea, I couldn't really adapt to Korean culture again. I habitually held a door for next person, then I ended up holding the door for like 5-10 minutes because everyone just passed me without saying thank you or holding the door for me. I got very upset and complained why nobody hold the door for each other and don't even thank me. "Wake up. You are not in America now." That's what my mom said. 




And every time I get out of my house just to go to a convenient store, grocery store and bank for less than 30 minutes, I had to put makeup on, or at least wear nice clothes. It was literally so annoying that I couldn't go out with Nike shorts, school T-shirt and flip-flops because it's like home-wear in Korea, and everyone judge each other by how they look.

I had a great time to see my people in Korea, but I culturally struggled so much in Korea. As soon as I came back to Oklahoma, I felt like I came back home. It was weird. Even when I came back to Oklahoma from Scotland trip last summer, I said I'm going home, and that's how I felt.

I'm so grateful that Oklahoma is my home because a lot of international students struggles with homesickness and don't feel like they are home. Without my mom who let me learn English early to feel comfortable with it and all the friends here who told me we are family, I wouldn't be able to feel like Oklahoma is home.
Thank Y'all!

XOXO,

Yoni


No comments:

Post a Comment