Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Are You from North or South?

Click image for original size

My phone has been full of notifications about North Korea from AP News, BBC and CNN these couple days. Since North Korea has been a hot topic recently, I would like to talk about North Korea as a South Korean in the U.S.

When I meet new people, they often ask me where I'm from. I just say Korea. Then, the next thing they usually ask is,

"Umm...North or South?"

Duh!

I either respond like "I'm from South. If I was from North Korean, I couldn't be here lol" or "I'm from North. My last name is Kim, and my uncle is watching you!"

I don't get offended when they ask me like that, but often get upset when I think about it later. I try to think like they were being nice to get to know me. But I feel like they don't care about Korea at all or try to condemn North Korea.

The reason why I don't say I'm from South Korea in the first place is that I believe South and North are one family and will be united soon. 

I do agree that the leader of North Korea is such a horrible person but people there are starving and living without freedom. Some families were divided during the Korean War and never saw each other due to the division of the country. They can't go see their family members or call. They don't even know whether their family members are alive or not. It's a tragedy.

Some people also said North Korea is our main enemy but I would say North Korean "government" is our main enemy. For me, North Korea is like our cousin. Since I know there are lots of people suffering from poverty, dictatorship and violence, I don't feel comfortable with being asked which Korea I'm from.

I would like you guys to listen more about people than government there. Here's a link about North Korean Refugee:













http://www.libertyinnorthkorea.org


XOXO,

Yoni

No comments:

Post a Comment