Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Getting Out of Comfort Zone

Studying in U.S has always been my dream since I was little. As soon as I read when I was 2 year old, my mom hired an English tutor and let me learn English. She thought I was genius and would go to Harvard! Anyway, I loved English and had a dream living in western country. I begged my parents once in every two years to send me to America or at least the Philippines. They always said we couldn't afford it, though.

Moving 6,725 miles away from home wasn't an easy decision. I never left my country before. When I went to college in Korea, I even chose the one in the city 1 hour away from my home. I didn't like that college from the first day of the school, but I went to the college for 5 semester. Although I knew I didn't like it and was wasting money, I couldn't drop out of college because I was already a junior and afraid to get out of my comfort zone.

Under this circumstance, I suffered from insomnia, depression and alcoholic. I was eventually put under academic probation after the 5th semester in college. I took a year off because I need some time to find myself out. Then, my mom who has no secret told her friend about how I was doing, and her friend suggested letting me go to U.S. for a year. She recommended us Oklahoma. Yes, Oklahoma! I didn't even know what it was. 

I decided to go to America and went to English school in Edmond. Unlike I expected, I graduated English school in 5 months. I thought it was pointless if I go back to Korea after only 5 months, so I came to UCO as a freshman just for a semester to finish a year in America and to see how America teaches Advertising and PR. Guess what? I made straight As in my first semester. Then, I decided to drop out of college in Korea and graduate at UCO. 

Being a freshman again at the age of 21 was pretty scary to me. I wasn't sure if it was smart to drop out of college where I already completed 4 semesters, or if my parents could afford my tuitions for 4 years. But I took a huge step to get out of comfort zone, and here I am. Half way done with my college!

Since I came to America, I have had lots of eye-opening and fascinating experiences that I didn't even expect. I still regret wasting my youth in Korea. It is hard to get out of your comfort zone, but if you are stuck in there, you can never improve yourself.

Get out of your comfort zone and explore! There may be a whole new world waiting for you! YOLO.

XOXO,

Yoni

No comments:

Post a Comment